Are you looking for a soup that will be a hearty winner at the table? You can’t go wrong with this baked potato soup featuring Hempler’s bacon. There’s something for everyone as you let your friends and family customize their soup bowl with all of their favorite baked potato toppings.
Consider dinner served as all of the delicious flavors of a loaded baked potato come together in this creamy & comforting soup.
8 slices Hempler’s bacon, diced
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 large leeks, trimmed, leaving white and light green parts only, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
⅓ cup all-purpose flour
3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
4 cups chicken stock
1 cup milk
1 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
½ cup sour cream
Green onions, thinly sliced
Grated cheddar cheese
- In a large stock pot, cook the bacon over medium heat. Once it’s crispy and the fat is rendered, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel–lined plate using a slotted spoon, reserving the fat in the pot.
- Add the butter to the bacon fat and cook until melted. Stir in the leeks and cook until the leeks are softened for 5-7 minutes. Add minced garlic and flour. Stir until the flour is incorporated, about 1 minute. While stirring, slowly add chicken stock to the flour mixture a little at a time, continuing to whisk continuously. Bring to a simmer, then turn the heat to low.
- Add the potatoes, milk, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 20-30 minutes or until the potatoes are very soft.
- Once the potatoes are soft, use the back of a wooden spoon to mash the potatoes and make the soup nice and creamy. Add ½ the cooked bacon, ¾ cup cheddar cheese, and ½ cup sour cream. Stir well and cook over low heat until heated and the cheese is melted.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with green onions, bacon, cheese, and sour cream before digging in.