Bacon and Brussels sprouts – name a better combo! They just go together. This simple side dish takes a basic veggie (Brussels!) and makes it a bit fancy with crispy bacon, making it the ultimate combo. The savory and smokey quality the Hempler’s Applewood bacon adds is a game changer that will have everyone reaching for seconds.
We love to crisp up the bacon (in a cast iron skillet if you have one). Next, to save time and add flavor, the Brussels are cooked in bacon fat for extra flavor. Yes, that’s why this dish is entirely irresistible!
8 strips Hempler's Uncured Center Cut Bacon, cut into 1" pieces
2 dozen Brussels sprouts, cleaned and halved
½ lemon - juiced
2 tablespoon maple syrup
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
Salt & Pepper to taste
- Combine the lemon juice, maple syrup, dijon, salt and pepper in a small bowl and whisk the ingredients together. Set aside.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, cook the bacon until crispy.
- Transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate, and leave the grease in the pan.
- Add the Brussels sprouts to the pan. Drizzle the sauce over the Brussels. Stir until nicely coated in the bacon grease and sauce. Cover the pan with a lid and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the bacon back into the pan. Cook, uncovered, for a few more minutes or until the Brussels sprouts are as tender and browned as you want.
- Season with salt & pepper as needed.