If you think salads are boring, you’ve obviously never tried this one. The combination of salty, sweet, and tangy is a party in your mouth and the crunch makes every bite unbelievably satisfying. With the apples, cheddar, glazed nuts, and broccoli it’s the perfect transitional dish from summer to fall!
- 1.5 lbs broccoli crowns
- 10 oz package Hempler's bacon (any variety), cooked and crumbled
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 1/3 cup cheddar cheese, cubed small
- 1 sweet apple, diced
- honey mustard dressing
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tb. butter
- Place the walnuts, sugar, and butter in a non-stick pan over medium heat. Stir continuously until the sugar is fully melted and coats the walnuts (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat, pour onto parchment paper, and allow to cool.
- Cut the florets off the broccoli crowns. Discard the stems. Chop the florets into small, bite-sized pieces.
- Combine the broccoli, bacon crumbles, cranberries, red onion, cheddar cheese, apple, and candied walnuts in a large bowl.
- Add honey mustard dressing (start out with a light drizzle) and toss to combine. Add more dressing to taste.