Cooking with pepperoni isn’t always the first thing you might think of, but it sure gives zest, zip, and flavor to these delicious stuffed chicken breasts, wrapped in our peppery bacon.
- 2 chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 1 Hempler's original pepperoni stick
- 4 roasted red peppers
- 1 cup spinach
- 4 spring onions
- 6 slices Hempler's pepper bacon
- Preheat grill or oven to 325°F
- Using a knife, butterfly or pinwheel chicken breasts, then season with salt and pepper and spread mustard evenly on inside surface of each chicken breast. Top each breast with two slices of provolone
- Cut pepperoni stick in half lengthwise, then cut into a small dice. Add half the pepperoni stick inside the chicken breasts, retaining the remainder for garnish.
- Drape pepperoni-topped breasts with roasted red peppers, then top with spinach and whole green onions (2 in each breast).
- Carefully roll up chicken so you end up with the original top side of the breast on the outside of the roulade, then secure it with toothpicks.
- Place breasts on a medium heat grill (or in the oven) for 10 minutes, covered. Then, roll breasts over for five minutes.
- After 15 minutes cook time on the breasts, add pepper bacon to the grill, cooking it on one side for five minutes.
- Line up three strips of bacon for each breast so the cooked side is on the inside, touching the chicken. Remove toothpicks from breast and set aside, rolling the chicken up in the bacon, and replacing toothpicks to secure the bundle.
- Return bacon-wrapped breasts to the grill for a final 5-15 minutes, turning once, until chicken is cooked through.
- Allow finished breasts to rest for 5-10 minutes, then carefully slice, garnishing with remaining pepperoni.