A party classic, dates stuffed with blue cheese and wrapped with bacon are delicious served as an appetizer or dessert. Don’t love blue cheese? Feel free to swap it out for goat cheese instead, though you’ll lose a bit of the salty magic that makes blue cheese such a great partner to bacon. Pro tip: when selecting dates, look for the plumpest ones.
12 medjool dates, pitted
Creamy blue cheese
- When pitting medjool dates, slit fruits down the middle on one side only, pushing them open to hold cheese.
- Using a knife or fingers, stuff each date with as much creamy blue cheese as it will hold while still being closeable.
- Cut bacon strips in half, wrapping dates and securing bacon with toothpicks so it overlaps around the date.
- Place dates on a hot grill, around the edges to prevent burning. Watch closely and flip dates before they get too crispy, as the sugars from the date can easily burn.
- When dates are finished, remove from grill. Pro tip: during the fall and winter, you can pop dates into the broiler for a classy app all year round.