In the spring and summer, when asparagus spears are fat and juicy, wrapping them with bacon is a primo way to serve up super flavorful veggies. You can cook them in the oven, but grilling them is a fast and fabulous method that makes the most of the season.
Hempler’s bacon (equal numbers)
Avocado oil (optional)
Salt and pepper to season (optional)
- Wash asparagus spears and shave off the green outer part from the bottom two inches of fat spears. Cut off just the bottom 1/2 inch. [Optional: rub spears lightly with oil before wrapping with bacon.]
- Lay out Hempler’s bacon slices and let come closer to room temperature — they’ll be more pliable. Starting with the thinner end of the bacon, secure the strip at the top of the stalk with a toothpick, winding bacon around the stalk so it touches. Secure the end of the bacon with another toothpick — trying to keep it parallel with the top toothpick so it will lay flat.
- On a hot grill, lay spears perpendicular to grate, leaving room between spears.
- Keep an eye on the flame-adjacent bacon, watching for crispness. After 5-6 minutes (less on a super hot grill), flip spears.
- Grill second side until crispy, then remove from grill. Sprinkle with salt and pepper if desired and serve, toothpicks intact or removed.